Much anticipation as to what kind of decision the Supreme Court of the United States will render with regard to the comprehensive affordable health care, commonly referred to as Obama Care.
It should not be surprising that the Supreme Court held the health care act as constitutional. Granted many so called experts were arguing previously that portion of the health care bill will be decided as to be unconstitutional. But what these experts forgot to mention is that the Federal Government has broad power under the US Constitution and the health care bill would have been argued to be constitutional. It is surprising that the Supreme Court did not recognize the individual mandate to be constitutional under the Commerce Clause.
Well now that the Health Care Bill is found to be constitutional, what does it offer to the American Citizens?
• It forbids for the private insurance company to deny the children with per existing illness. The insurance companies much provide coverage for these group of individuals.
• It allows the children under the age of 26 to remain under their parent’s insurance coverage. Given today’s level of unemployment, many graduates from colleges are unable to find work and without this provision would have been left unprotected.
• It forbids denying coverage for any individual with per-existing condition.
• It keeps the cost of coverage low.
• It provides free annual check-ups.
• This coming August many policy holders shall receive rebates which is a reimbursement for the premiums paid that were applied towards administration and executives compensation rather than being used for providing more health care services.
• Provides lower costs for medicine for senior citizens who are covered by Medicare.
• It mandates individuals without health insurance to buy coverage and if they cannot afford, their premiums will be subsidized.
…still leaves about 20 million people without any coverage.
Many critics argue that it does not go all the way to cover every American with health coverage and still leaves about 20 million people without any coverage. That may be true, but this Health Care Bill is much better than before.
Perhaps this Bill could be the start of implementation of National Health Insurance or Medicare for all.